The Tour de Vineyard at Florence benefiting the City of Florence invites you to join their ride happening on Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 8711 W FM 487 Florence, TX 76527
We were lucky enough to be granted an interview with Shawna Platt of Tour de Vineyard at Florence to ask some questions about their upcoming ride.
1. What was the motivation behind starting the Tour de Vineyard at Florence and who benefits from it?
I wanted to help raise money for the City of Florence and the new park that is being constructed under the Parks & Rec Dept. The money has gone to the city to help replace the pool liner, etc. I wanted to do something that would promote being healthy in Florence.
2. What is your role in this race and to the success of it?
I started the race, I am the organizer.
3. What sets this event apart from others in the area?
The beautiful countryside on the back country roads and The Vineyard itself is a beautiful place.
4. How have they been able to utilize the funds in the past?
The City Pool was able to reopen with a new liner. Money is being saved for the new park.
?5. Can we get a TCX or GPX file included for download? Over 63% of folks say they are more up to attend a ride for which they have information about the routes for their on-bike devices.
This is something I will work on next year.
?6. Do you have a a map of the start facility showing registration point, parking, all toilets, water/snacks, start line?
7. Logistically, can you give us an idea how many volunteers, finances, and planning it takes to put on this event?
It takes about 75 volunteers. 100 would be better. Local businesses give donations to help cost of tshirts, goody bags, refreshments, etc. WE also have a band play.
8. What was the most rewarding experience throughout the years hosting this event?
Being able to make a difference in the community, and watching rides face and they return to The Vineyard.
9.What is the average number of participants per year? How many riders do you assist during the average race?
We usually have 150 – 200 riders.
10. What was the most unforgettable experience or worst accident you had in this event?
Thankfully, no accidents yet. One lady did pull over and sat down in an ant pile and was covered in ants.
11. What can folks do to support you and your mission?
12. What would you say to someone who is considering participating in this event?
They will enjoy it and to get a lot of help & support
13. Do you ride, and if yes, what is your favorite route in your area? What are your top 3 favorite MUST DO rides in Texas (besides your own)? I do ride but not long distances. I have not taken part in my own ride because I am on the phone with SAG, police, volunteers, etc making sure everyone is okay.
14. Is there any additional information you would like the folks to know about this year’s ride?
It’s our 5 year. We learn more and more every year and get better every year.
Thanks Shawna for this quick interview and we hope to catch everyone at the ride!
Click here to view the event details of the Tour de Vineyard at Florence